Saturday, December 18, 2010

El kicks TCM's ass Tueday night!!!!

Yes, kiddies, this Tuesday night, December 21st, at 8:00PM (EST), Turner Classic Movies will make the television premier of the new restoration by the Museum of Modern Art and The Film Foundation of 1929's "Sunny Side Up"! This film was one of El Brendel's breakthrough talkie roles and made him one of the most popular comedy stars of the early 30's, it also happens to be one of my personal favorites. Everyone should catch it if not for the wonderful leading roles by Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell, but for the AMAZING "Turn on the Heat" dance sequence. I could go on and on about this film (an I will in the future!), but check it out for yourself and enjoy! Here are some scenes from the movie to whet your appetite:


****UPDATE: OMG, if ANYONE can record this on DVD for me I would be much appreciative, my TV where I record died last night and it looks like we won't be getting a new one before Tuesday. HELP!!
****

4 comments:

A said...

looks awesome...shame I'm not in the right country to watch! great screenshots though!

Anonymous said...

RICHARD FINEGAN said...

If anyone has to miss it on Dec. 21
TCM has it scheduled again on March 16, 2011.

But DON'T miss it. Watch it BOTH times!

Stacia said...

Yes! It IS the restoration! I'm so glad you found that out.

I'm recording it and will send a copy to ya, but don't rely on me alone. Our TCM regularly pixelates or goes out for 5-10 seconds; it happens on easily half the films I record. I'll be watching it while it records, though, so should know immediately if it's a good copy or not.

pvitari said...

I can make copies for anyone who needs one -- including you, Louie. :) Just send me an e-mail: pvitaris@gmail.com

If you're recording, make sure to set your recorder for extra time. TCM has it scheduled for 2 hours but the movie runs a minute or two over 2 hours and there will probably be comments from Robert Osborne both before and after.

I saw this twice at the TCM Film Festival last April and it's a pip!